20 June 2010

The Inaugural AMQA Quilt Show

This was a wonderful show with so many inspirational quilts on display. It was held at the Auditorium at Eventide, Brighton, Queensland, near the edge of the water on the north side of Brisbane. A great venue in a convenient and very beautiful location.
The show ran over the weekend of the 26 - 27 September 2009 and was the very first show run by the Australian Machine Quilting Association in Queensland to focus on machine quilting.

It was a shame that Brisbane was hit by dust storms on the days of the show so fewer people that anticipated ventured out to see it, but even so, it was very well received.


I was very fortunate to win prizes in several categories for quilts I had both made and quilted, and for those some of my wonderful customers had made and I had quilted. They very kindly allowed me to show their quilts. I thought you might like to see these prize wining quilts.

Prize winners

In the Art/Pictorial category quilts I both made and quilted won 1st and 3rd prizes! I was over the moon!
Uluru - 1st PrizeSolutions - 3rd Prize



In the Edge to Edge category Earthy Squares won third prize and Hop, Skip and Jump was Highly Commended. Both quilts were made my Kate Elliott (Scarborough, Qld) and quilted by me.


Earthy SquaresEarthy Squares detailHop, Skip and Jump


In the Functional Custom category I entered Burning Desire which was Highly Commended. This quilt is owned by Ann McKenzie but was made for her by her daughter Debbie Morton.

Burning DesireBurning Desire detail


In the Custom-Heirloom/Traditional section I was fortunate enough to win third prize for quilting Lyndell McDonald's quilt ( Kyogle, NSW) Follow the Path and a Highly Commended for Rosa Mangano's quilt (Gordon Park, Qld) Heirloom Lace.

Follow the PathFollow the Path detail
Heirloom LaceHeirloom Lace detail



It was really exciting for me to able share these prizes with my customers and present their ribbons to them.


One of my own personal favourite quilts is Oh My Stars! It was too old to be entered here but I thought you might like to see it anyway.


Information about AMQAS 2010 is now available.

1 comment:

Munaiba said...

I juts had a closer look at the quilting on Uluru.IT's really lovely and I see now what you were getting at about 45deg angles and straight line stitching. Thanks Barb