02 June 2010

A Day with Barb

Sandy Cunningham of Murwillumbah, NSW, visited my studio recently for an all-day 'watch and learn' session of longarming. What a great day!


Sandy has a different computerised operating system so I only utilised my Intelliquilter to lock a straight line of basting when necessary.
The lesson predominantly involved manual techniques and the variety of pieced borders on this little quilt made it an excellent teaching sample. I was able to demonstrate quite a few techniques and discuss certain choices in building-up the overall plan, including,
  • floating the top,

  • stabilising the quilt into workable sections,

  • why I needed to use different techniques, and

  • how to use those techniques to apply different types of quiting whilst limiting the (all too time consuming) number of stops and starts and thread changes.


It all worked and 'Flutterby' came together very well. Sandy said she learnt heaps!

1 comment: